1. How did you get into derby?
After wanting to get involved for years and either not having the time or money, I finally convinced [retired OHRG skater] Hell Camino to lend me some speed skates and take me to the rink. I couldn’t skate and it was hilarious.
2. You have a really cool dog, tell me about him.
I have the world’s cutest little alien: a 5 year old pug named Gogol. He is a cuddly sidekick with an impossible wrinkle-face and a wicked sense of humour. Incidentally, he is also scared of roller skates.
3. When you’re not busy getting lead jammer in a game, what other positions do you like to play?
Bahaha. So you mean, what do I like to do almost ALL the time? I like playing all the blocking positions. The only position I’ve disliked is bench coaching when I was injured.
4. You’re the President of OHRG. Do you feel that your next step is to take over the world?
Pssssht. Who needs the world when you’ve got the Ohio Roller Girls? That being said, Columbus- You Are Mine.
5. How do you prepare for a bout?
Listening to lots of really loud, really poppy punk music .
6. Everybody has their own skating style. Do you have a favorite derby move?
Although it has yet to be done in an actual game, I can throw Bigg Rigg over the apex. It’s pretty mind-blowing.
7. You are a master knitter. Do you have any other killer hobbies we should know about?
Too many. Is being snarky a hobby? I read a lot, am addicted to crossword puzzles, and I like to go see awesome local bands like The Girls!
8. Do you have a derby wife?
Yes, the lovely Bigg Rigg. I proposed to her with a ring I made out of grass. It was like a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie. I may or may not have cried.
9. I’ve noticed that you often wear super sweet space pants. Do you have any piece of derby gear or attire that you can’t live without?
I need new space pants! I’ve worn all the silver off. I used to have a Union Jack helmet that was pretty sweet but now I am obsessed with my Atom Armor Elite elbow pads. I never thought I’d have an opinion about elbow pads, but these are great.
10. Tell me something I don’t know about you.
I have a few tattoos.